Sunday, May 17, 2009

Dare to Nightmare?


There is too much potential for a loss for any Laker fan to feel comfortable on this Sunday morning. At this point, I am done with predictions, done with analysis, and done with the semblance of understanding what makes these Lakers tick (or not). In some ways, I am reverting to pure fan status, just waiting with anticipation for the game, which I will watch either with glee or outright depression. I don't know that I like this better, but a Game 7 with a clear underdog is definitely what sports is all about.
That said, looking at this game on paper it would certainly suggest that the Lakers should bounce back. But as they say...
Good thing I have the Dodgers and Fish to tide me over until Showtime!

3 comments:

  1. Were you really worried? Come on?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I was worried, worried in much the same way that we worry when the Horns play a team like K-State. Lakers fans have been thinking about the 2009 Finals since the second after the end of the 2008 Finals (actually, given their performance in 2008, the Lakers seemed to be thinking about 2009 before 2008's Game 6). Anything less would be the equivalent of losing to, say, Colorado in the Big XII Championship with a shot to go to the national title.

    After the victory, it is so easy to act confident and calm. However, years of Dodgers disappointment, some massive Horns collapses, and the Lakers performance in this series have conditioned me to expect the worst. Before the game, I am in fact envisioning utter destruction and epic failure.

    Of course, maybe that is just me.

    BTW, nice screen name UTLibGal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a worrier. He can't help it. It's in his...uhh...heritage.

    I do get a kick out of the "woe is me" line you try to feed us in the above comment. Dude, you are a fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Lakers, and Texas Longhorns. As far as successful teams to follow passionately, that's about as good as it gets. I'm sure there's someone out there who is a Yankees, Steelers, and UCLA basketball fan, but that's about the only thing that can top you. The Lakers are arguably the most successful franchise in NBA history. The Dodgers have a long history of success, although admittedly spotty in the last couple of decades. And as much as we cry about the failures of our beloved Horns, life is pretty damn good for us.

    You should try being an Astros or Texans fan. Or even try being an Aggie. Ok, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete