Monday, October 5, 2009

Seasons


There are moments in the cycle of life that encourage one to stop, reflect, and enjoy their implicit wonder. Perhaps it is the turning of the seasons from Summer to Fall (can't you tell, its only 90 with 90% humidity out), perhaps it is the pending arrival of a child that makes one feel very mortal, or perhaps it is the end of the daily grind of baseball's regular season and the "beginning" of conference play in college football.
This year presents a confluence of all these occurrences for me, and that has made me somewhat introspective. How lucky are we to have arrived at this time of the year? A week of fall rain has saved me mucho energy and $$ spent on watering my lawn. We are closer to the arrival of my (as yet unnamed) baby girl than we are to the date of her conception. The crucial stretch begins for the Horns this week (though hopefully Colorado does not prove to be a worthy opponent). The Dodgers have (finally, exhaustingly) clinched the West and move on to the glorious playoffs (there is nothing better than playoff baseball). To top it off, they will face the Cardinals first, renewing one of the great MLB rivalries of all-time and stoking the flames of hatred between yours truly and the Lone Reader.
And, if I may, Summer and Fall are acting very Spring-like for my co-author, bringing a renewal and rejuvenation of sorts.
There will be opportunity for preview and predictions before Wednesday's first game. Certainly, my sanguine mood will be replaced by a surly, pessimistic gloom as the prospect of Carpenter/Wainwright/Piniero v. Wolf/Kershaw/??? grows closer. But for now, let's just enjoy a day of calm, reflection, and happiness for all.
Except for OU. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm liking the introspective blog postings. It provides a more mature and grounded tone to SLAE, which is always appreciated (and traditionally lacking, many would say).

    While I am not one to stoke the flames of hatred between our Esteemed Author and our Lone Reader, nor do I enjoy contributing to the Esteemed Author's predictably pessimistic mood, I will make a prediction that the Cardinals win the series in 6. Opening the series against Carpenter and Wainwright is just brutal for the Boys in Blue. I'm afraid the Dodgers get stuck in a hole that they can't quite climb out of.

    As for last Saturday's college football action, I can safely say that it was the BEST BYE WEEK EVER. Another loss for the Sooners. An embarrassing reality check for the Aggies. Hell, even UTEP (of the "52 yards gained against Texas" fame) ended the BCS dreams of the Cougar fans here in town (all two dozen of them). 52 yards against Texas - 58 points against UH. Run along to the Liberty Bowl now.

    As we embark on the meat of the college football season, the always enjoyable MLB playoffs, the hopefully cooler autumn weather, and the stretch run of Mrs. Esteemed Author's pregnancy, I must say that this is a wonderful time of year. Renewal and rejuvenation sounds 100% accurate to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant Cardinals in 4, obviously. The Best of 5 format in the division series is one of the dumber ideas in sports.

    ReplyDelete